Monday, November 30, 2009

Turkey Trot 2009

Every year, McKinley does the annual Turkey Trot before Thanksgiving. I always like to run it with my kids. Second grade and older students run for a mile, but first grade runs just half a mile. I haven't ran for two months, since I had surgery. My doctor just informed me last week that I can start running again (praise the heavens...you have no idea how much food I've eaten since my surgery, I've gained myself a few good pounds, and need to start running it off, and I also need the running to improve my mental clarity!). So I was excited to be able to run, and thought, "I've ran a 13.1 mile half marathon, a 10K and a few 5K's this past year, I can run a half mile easily!" All the first graders lined up, and I joined them when they started. Good heck, they all ran fast, and left me in the dust! I was shocked at how slow I was! After a bit, of course, most of them decided to just walk. I kept my slow and steady pace (and yes, I ran by all the kids who were complaining how they couldn't do it. I would encourage them with my words, but I wasn't going to slow down and walk with them. I wanted to run, man! Rude of me, I know :) ). I finished it, but it was the hardest half mile! It sucks how much running I have lost since I haven't done it for two months! It was a lot of fun though, and I was very proud of all my students for doing it. The first place boy and first place girl even came from my class!
First graders, lining up, ready to run!

And they're off!

Phew! We finished!

Yay Billy! First place boy..

Yay Lexy! First place girl..

No comments: