Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bolder Boulder

As I stated in my previous post, I set a goal when I first moved here to run the Bolder Boulder 10K, which is equal to 6.2 miles. I've been training for the past 4 and 1/2 months for it. What a day it was! Boulder is beautiful. We actually drove up to Boulder the Saturday before the race to check out the course and to see more of the city since we hadn't been there before. We walked outside the Pearl Street Mall. It was full of vendors, gearing up for the big race which would take place the following Monday, Memorial Day. We noticed a big crowd of people so we went over to investigate. A man was asking people what their zip code was. He could tell them the city and state they were from and some things about the city. He then was using a chain to make the outline of the United States. He asked people for their zip codes again, told them where they were from and had them stand in the spot that their state was located. He called on me, I told him 84337 (my home town in Utah). He said Utah and had me stand where Utah is located. He called on about 12 other people and did the same thing. This is the cool part..he memorized all of our zip codes, we each had only told him once. He pronounced Tremonton as Trehmenton, but pretty close! He's the zip code man, I was definitely impressed! We also ate at Pasta Jay's. It was ok, but it was definitely no Olive Garden (my fave).
Standing in the chain US where Utah is..

I thought this picture of me was hilarious, I'm acting all shy or something. The zip code man has his back to you, in the khaki pants, and light green shirt.

I was feeling good the morning of the race, not nervous at all, really excited to do it actually. It was so crazy driving into Boulder, SOO many people. And there was a continuous flow of runners, it never stopped. I was in the MM wave. It was the best race I have felt physically. I was touched by quite a few things as I ran. I passed a lot of people. It was amazing all the different ages and abilities that came out to run. I liked the fact that it wasn't a competitive thing, it was something to accomplish. One man I passed made me teary eyed. He was probably in his late 80's, he could barely walk but he was hobbling along. On the back of his shirt he had a bib that listed men he had served in the military with. I passed by several children (and also several children ran by me, man some were soo fast!) There was quite a bit of entertainment along the way as well: bands, belly dancers, cheerleaders, lots of people cheering, or just sitting outside their homes watching. At the end, you run into Folsom Field (the University of Colorado football field). That was the best part, thousands upon thousands of people watching you come in. I did pretty well. My goal was to run it in 75 minutes. I did it in 78. There were 3 hills. The first one, the hardest one, I ran up, but the last 2 I had to walk. The last mile was probably the hardest for me, I was beginning to feel tired of running. But I did it, and I felt so good after. We were given lots of free samples. We stayed to see the professional athlete teams come in. It was amazing, they had a video as they ran, and then when they came into the stadium, I had goosebumps. They ran it so fast, like 5-6 minute miles! They also did a military tribute with parachuters, the 21 gun salute, and a flyover. It was an incredible experience and an incredible day for me. I plan on running the Bolder Boulder 10K every year for as long as I can!

Since this was my goal and the longest race I have done thus far, I dedicated a mile to different people in my life. Since it was only 6 miles, I clumped people together. When I run the half marathon in August, I will dedicate a mile to an individual. The first mile was dedicated to my nieces and nephews. The second mile was dedicated to my parents. The third mile was dedicated to my brothers and sisters. The fourth mile was dedicated to all of my friends. The fifth mile I did do an individual person. I dedicated it to Jenna because she has been my example and role model in running and being so supportive of me through this race. The last 1.2 miles was dedicated to my Savior. I knew it would be the hardest mile for me, and I thought and pondered a lot about Him during that time. What a mile (and .2) that was!
Hilary, me, Ashlee, and Josh posing before the race. We all rode together and ran! I loved that they all came down to my height, Josh's face in this is my favorite!

Me approaching the first mile. I'm not a fan of this picture because my jacket was pulled up high. BUT..check out my awesome purple starred headband! I totally look like Rex Kwan Do from Napolean Dynamite! My roommates made fun of it (secretly jealous of it!) But it kept the bangs out of my way, and hey, it's awesome right?!

The stadium where we ran into. Look at all those people!!

Boulder's a lot closer to the mountains than Denver. It reminded me a lot of Utah!

Hil and I after the race. You can definitely see my headband a lot better here. Totally Rex Kwan Do, huh?

The 4 of us, post race. I love all the friends I have made out here that will help me accomplish my goals with me!

I asked to have a bib to put on my back that was in honor of someone that has been in the military. Of course I put my dad. I love you, dad! Thanks for all that you did to sacrifice for my freedom!

5 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Awesome job! Definitely something to be proud of! And you looked like you had fun too!
Nice imitation of the guy from Napoleon Dynamite!! That is so funny!

Sunshine Designed said...

What a great post! You are such an inspiration to me and I such love you! So glad you had a great time. Looks like an awesome race.

Kristin said...

Tawna, I have to admit that I got a little teary-eyed reading this post. I'm just so proud and happy for you and that you have accomplished so many things this past year. You're an inspiration to people to get out of their comfort zone and try new things. You're so great!

Ann Marie Wallace said...

Tawna you are amazing!!! Congratulations :)

Sunshine Designed said...

Tawna congratulations! There is a blog award waiting for you on my blog!