Saturday, April 25, 2009

One of the Best Days of My Life!

Last weekend, I was able to accomplish a dream of mine, something that has been on the top of my list of things to do before I die. Go to Wrigley Field and see the Chicago Cubs play! I flew to Chicago Thursday night, after a 3 hour delay (the plane was at the gate, they kept telling us the plane was having mechanical issues, scary! And I just want to add it was the scariest plane ride I have ever been on!!). I loved Chicago the instant I saw the city. I'm a huge fan of big cities, tall buildings, the hussle and bussle. It was so good to see Tonya, 8 months pregnant I must add, and she was looking so great and happy! She had to work Friday, so her husband Jared walked me to the red line, and I went to the game alone. I was kind of nervous about that, being in a big city and not knowing where I was going, but I'm glad I did that now. I was SOOO excited to see Wrigley Field from the "train", I walked around it for a while in a blur, surrounded by other Cub fanatics. I had my cubs hat, but I really wanted a Ryne Sandberg tshirt so I stopped at a shop outside Wrigley Field and got me one. I finally decided to go in, and I started to tear up the second I saw the field. I loved how Wrigley Field was set up, I was in the upper seats, but I was above home plate, and they actually were really good seats. I just sat there alone, literally crying tears of happiness. I felt like I was home, as weird as that sounds. I was enthralled during the whole game, I got so into it! Tonya finally made it 3rd inning. It was a game with tons of hits! We led until the St. Louis Cardinals hit a home run, and so we trailed until the 8th inning, when Alfonso Soriano hit a home run with 2 men on base, and we ended up beating the Cardinals 8-7. It was the best game to attend for the first time seeing the Cubs, in my opinion! It was a happy day for me, and truly one of the best experiences of my life up to this point. I can't wait to go back to Wrigley Field and see more of my Cubbies!

I experienced a lot more in Chicago, so my next post I will include all of those pictures!
Wetting the field before the game.

Love the old scoreboard! This game was sold out with more than 40,000 fans. You can't really see, but there were bleachers above all the buildings around Wrigley Field. Crazy! Also, it was really pretty with the tall buildings behind, and then to the right, Lake Michigan. A little piece of heaven if you ask me!
We walked down to the field after the game. I have a crappy camera, I couldn't get a good shot of me with Wrigley Field behind me from where I was sitting.
Right after the win, the Cubs and Cardinals lining up. Also, all of the fans in Wrigley Field sang a fun song about the Cubs. I want to learn it!!

A statue of Harry Caray outside Wrigley Field. I LOVED Harry Caray growing up. He announced the Cubs games. He passed away on my birthday in 1998. I wanted to get a picture with Harry but this was after the game and there was way too many people!

The famous Chicago Cubs sign. I was so nervous T was going to get ran over, she was in the street taking this pic..Love my hat, but not what it does when I take pics. with it on =)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm so happy and proud for you! What a feeling that must have been. Love ya!

Tabbi said...

You LOVE your cubbies! That pic of mom and you playing airplanes is awesome! When did you take it?