Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fulfilling a Lifelong Dream

This week I am going to be able to check off something that is number one on my list of things to accomplish in my lifetime. I am going to a Chicago Cubs game at Wrigley Field!! My good friend Tonya and her husband Jared moved to Chicago this past summer, so I took it as an opportunity for me to achieve my dream. I will be in Wrigley Field this Friday, and I'm not going to lie, a few tears may be shed.

This dream started for me as a young girl. I loved watching sports with my older brother Mick. He loved the Chicago Bulls, and the Chicago Cubs. We had the WGN channel, so the games would be on all the time. I loved watching the players play baseball at Wrigley Field, and ever since then have had the desire to see a real game there. I haven't watched the team as much the past few years of my life, but still have a deep love for them. My favorite player of all time, Ryne Sandberg, is no longer playing for the Cubs but I used to love watching him play second base, along with Mark Grace as first baseman, and Andre Dawson as an outfielder. I look forward to seeing the new players play, and maybe getting a new favorite or two. (Derek Lee? Or maybe Alfonso Soriano, who used to play for the Yankees, a team I was also forced to watch a lot with my good friend Meggan :) )

The first day of my teaching career, I took a poster of Wrigley Field, of which I have had hanging in my bedroom for a few years (I didn't bring it with me to Denver, didn't want it to get ruined). I explained to my students the importance of setting goals and having dreams. I shared mine of one day visiting Wrigley Field, and that I knew I would accomplish it. And now that dream is coming true.

I'll post pictures and will write about my experience there. I can't wait!! Cubbies, here I come!

5 comments:

Dave said...

I'm very jealous. I too want to go to Wrigley very badly. It is one of only two historic parks left.

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Awesome! I'm totally psyched for you! What a great mini-trip you're going to have!!!

Sunshine Designed said...

Wish I could send Mick in your suitcase, although I know you would have it stuffed to the brim! Enjoy your trip and checking another item off the list!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ms. Perkins! Thats way cool that you get to go to Wrigley Field.. I remeber that day in class when you brought your poster. Uhh me and Kyle were so dissapointed that you liked the Cubbies.. good times good times.. HAVE FUN!!!