Monday, March 9, 2009

Very Grateful

I've been thinking a lot lately about things I am grateful for in my life. Everyday I think about things I'm grateful for, but a few times I REALLY think about it, to a point where I fill my soul up with love and light and feel joy that I chose the life I have. And when that happens, I want to share it. Usually it's in my journal, but why not share it with all of you? Gratitude is even better when shared!

  • I've been thinking quite a bit about my heritage, the people in my family who came before me. Especially my grandparents, on both sides. I had a very meaningful dream last week about my Grandpa Rose, who has passed on to the next life. I think that's what triggered all this. I'm so grateful for the memories I have being at my G & G Rose's house growing up, watching my grandpa make things in his wood shop, the magic tricks he would play with a quarter, the way he was so quick to smile and laugh and share that happiness with us, drinking tea and playing cards with my grandma, playing night games with my cousins in my grandparents backyard. For my G & G Perkins, I treasure the times spent on the Coeur d'Alene lake, boating with my grandpa, shopping with my grandma, hearing their stories. I love the traits I have inherited from all 4 of them. I'm so blessed!!
  • I'm so grateful for my parents, and what they have sacrificed to raise my brothers and sisters and I. I've really truly come to love and appreciate my mom and dad since I've been away from them. And of course, I'm grateful for my siblings. I could do a whole post on how each of them have influenced my life for the better. I'm amazed at what they have each gone through to get where they are today, the choices they've made, the lessons they've learned, and who they are. I love you Lisa, Mick, Cody, Kala, Tabbi, Trina.
  • I'm grateful for my 2 sisters-in-law and my 2 brothers-in-law and what they contribute to my family. I love you Jen, Josh, Mack and BreAnne. Thanks for putting up with the crazy Perkins' clan!
  • I'm grateful for the choice I made to move to Colorado, to challenge myself and grow more independent, even when at times it's tested my faith and made me question a lot about myself. Man, I've grown leaps and bounds the past 7 months!
  • I'm grateful for Colorado, the beauty that's here in the mountains, the clouds, the sunsets. The kind people. I'm grateful for the drivers here, they wave all the time! I LOVE it!!
  • I'm grateful for wonderful, true friends. I really have always been blessed with the best, I've always been surrounded by lots and lots of good friends. I'm grateful for those that stay in contact with me, and show me through words and actions how much they care for me even when we are miles and miles apart.
  • I'm grateful for who I have chosen to become, the choices I have made in the past that have led me to who I am today. I'm grateful that I have an open heart, that so easily loves and accepts others. I'm grateful that I challenge myself, that I question everything on a daily basis. I'm grateful that I continue to allow myself to be open to new thoughts, ideas, and adventures. I'm grateful for people that challenge me to grow, to not stand still, but to move forward.
  • I'm grateful for what I have been able to accomplish in my short 27 years of life thus far: graduating from Utah State, teaching for 4 years, moving to a new state all alone, the places I have been able to travel.
  • I'm grateful for music, for its power to speak so directly to me, for its way to communicate for me when my words can't, for the way it moves me to tears and stirs my soul.
  • I'm grateful for Malcolm, Quinn,Ammon, Aspen, Micah, Jonah, Libby, Kanyon, Abbie, my nieces and nephews who have taught me how to love so purely and so greatly. I can't even describe the huge amount of love I have for them.
  • I'm grateful for laughter, and people who have a sense of humor that can get me laughing so hard I cry!
I could go on, but I think this is a fine list. I love how thinking about and writing down what I'm grateful for can lift my spirits greatly! Just what I needed today!

1 comment:

Sunshine Designed said...

Thanks for the pleasant reminder. Being grateful brings joy to our lives doesn't it? Unfortunately we sometimes forget.
Love you too. Thanks for accepting me openly!