Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It's a Good Life!

For Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, I was able to go to Denver again! This time with my old Colorado roomie, Ellen. It was such a fun weekend with visiting friends, spending time downtown (I LOVE downtown Denver), letting off Sobe bombs, and visiting other sites. I had had a super crazy week before with Parent Teacher conferences, and I was having surgery the day after I got home, so I made it a stress free weekend, no work, no worries, just having fun. And that is what I did! Denver, you never fail to please my heart and soul. I have the greatest friends in Colorado, it's always so good to go back "home."


Ellen and I outside Babi-Yar Park, a park I've wanted to go to for a while. It's a memorial for the Ukraine Jews killed in the Holocaust. It had a walking path in the shape of the Star of David. It was very peaceful, and beautiful.


My favorite part of the Babi Yar Park was the tree section. It had this awesome quote in the middle of the trees: "Can we not learn from the trees? Each stands alone, yet flourishes in the benevolent shade of others." If you didn't know this about me, I'm a huge fan of trees, especially when they are alone. I thought this quote was so fitting to life!



I love the Children's section in the Denver Public Library. Ellen came up with the idea of Hil and me sitting in the little people chairs. See how easily I can fit my legs under the table but Hil can't? Hilarious! (She's almost a foot taller than me)

On the 13th step up to the Capitol Building, you are exactly one mile above sea level, hence the reason Denver is the Mile High City.

The old roomies! Me, Ellen, Jessica, and Hil in front of the Capitol.

I was proud of this picture I took at the Capitol. I wouldn't consider myself a photographer like all my sisters are, so this was a good moment for me.

Isn't the Capitol beautiful? It reminds me so much of the DC Capitol building.


Ellen, Jessica and I at the 16th Street Mall in Downtown Denver, one of my favorite places ever!

Becca and I on the drive to do Sobe bombs. Her bangs are so cute on her!

Ellen and I took advantage of free day at the Denver Botanic Gardens. Since it's January, there wasn't a lot blooming outside. But inside there were some gorgeous trees and flowers. I loved this purple one.

Ellen and I at the Denver temple. That temple saved me last year, several times!

So this picture doesn't do justice for what I was able to witness. Monday was Martin Luther King Jr. day, and Ellen and I were heading downtown to have lunch with Hilary and Becca. A lot of the streets were closed and we weren't sure why. Well, it turns out that there was a HUGE rally downtown to celebrate the day! The mayor spoke, and other people, as well as lots of booths and music. I've never been able to be part of something to celebrate the day, so I thought it was awesome that we came upon it!

4 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

Glad you had such a fun weekend!!!

Kelsy and Brad said...

How fun! You know, the mayor of Denver is a Hickenlooper! That's probably why you love it there so much ;)

Melissa and Justin said...

fun, I LOVE Denver. Good luck with the surgery.

Ellen said...

That was SO much fun! I need to get your pictures sometime, they turned out really good. I didn't have as many good ones, but I'll be sure to post them on Facebook.