Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Rock

My Grandma Perkins has always been a very important person in my life. Since the time I was a little girl, she has always been a woman that I have loved, admired, and adored. She passed away this morning, and since I found out, my thoughts have led back to my favorite memories with her, and what she has taught me:

-My grandparents lived in Cour D'Alane, ID but had a winter home in Arizona. Every Fall, they would drive South, stopping to say with us for a few days on their way to Arizona, and again in the Spring, on the way back to Cour D'Alane. They would always come on weekends because I remember my grandparents going to church with us, and I ALWAYS wanted to sit next to my grandma. She would scratch my back all during sacrament and it was pure heaven for me!

-My favorite place in the whole world was my grandparent's house in Cour D'Alane. They lived on the lake and every glorious summer for a few days we would drive up and spend time with them. It was the most beautiful, peaceful place on Earth, and I anticipated that trip all year! Every morning my grandma would make orange juice mixed in the blender with a banana-something I like to do now. We would go on our annual shopping trip with Grandma. And I tell you what, my grandma didn't mess around when it came to shopping! She knew all the best places to go, gave honest opinions about how we looked in our clothing, and I cherish those times I spent with her :) Playing games and putting puzzles together at the lake house was another favorite activity of us grand kids.

-It was a sad day for all of us when my grandparents sold their home in Cour D'Alane and moved to Spokane, WA. Tabbi and I were able to drive up, just the two of us, to spend some time with them a few years ago in their new home. That is a trip I will treasure for the rest of my life. We were able to just sit and talk with them for hours. My grandma had the sharpest memory of any person I know, and she was over 90 years old!! She had a keen eye for details, and was a wonderful storyteller. I loved hearing her talk about her past, growing up with her large family, about my parents, giving us wonderful advice, and just spending that time with her. She and my grandpa worked in the temple once a week, and it was their tradition after to eat a Burger King hamburger and share a small fry. Isn't that so cute?! It was fun to share in that tradition with them for a day.

-My grandma was honest, firm, blunt, hilarious, and the most loving person alive. She knew who she was, she loved herself, and she wasn't afraid to be herself. All those qualities wrapped in one made my grandma so beautiful, so wonderful to be around. She always knew how to make everyone feel so welcome and people wanted to be around her to hear her stories, and share in her glorious laughter. She could always make me laugh, she could always make me cry. She told me how it was, and I needed that! That's a quality I always admired in her, one that several people in my family possess. It makes for good times when we are all together, I tell you what!

-When my grandma said "I love you" I knew she meant it. She said it with so much conviction, so much emotion. I believed it, I felt it, and I loved hearing her say those 3 words. That is something I learned from her-love others unconditionally, tell them often, and mean it when you say it.

-My grandma was my biggest fan-she supported me whole heartedly in everything I chose to do-my singing and piano lessons, going to college, graduating, teaching, receiving my temple endowments, moving to Colorado. All of it. She backed me up, and would tell me how proud of me she was. I remember a short while after my Aunt Candi died (her daughter), I called my grandma to just talk (I loved doing that). She told me that my Aunt Candi would tell her often, "Quin is so beautiful." And then my grandma said, with emotion that made me cry, "Quin, you are beautiful. And I love you, I love you!" -Side note, my grandma refused to call me Tawna. I was Quin to her, I will always be her Quin.

-A few years ago, some of us in our family went to visit my grandparents in July for their birthday. On this particular trip, Kala and I were able to go shopping alone with grandma. At that time, I had been thinking about getting Chaco shoes. I really wanted them, but was hesitant on the price. We passed a store that sold them in the mall, and I told my grandma that I desired them. My Grandma said, "Quin, let's just go try them on and see what you think." So I did. She loved them on me, and basically forced me to buy them. She knew how much I wanted them! Another lesson learned from my grandma-when you truly desire something, go for it. Get it.

-I remember after my older brother, Cody, fell off a 40 ft. cliff. My grandparents came to be with us. I had never seen my grandma cry so hard as when she saw Cody after the incident. I will never forget that moment-the emotion she showed, the love that she truly felt for him, and I knew she loved us all that way, equally.

-I always feel so proud when I hear stories of my grandparents on both sides, of the history of their families. I always feel so lucky that I was born into such an amazing heritage. I was blessed with the best grandparents a girl could have. I've always known I was loved, I've always known that my grandparents cared about me and valued me as a person, as their granddaughter.

-My grandma always remembered all of her grand kids' birthdays and sent us a card with money every year. She always signed the card, "Love to the Last Counting." I loved that statement, and have begun using it myself. My grandma taught me so many valuable lessons, most by her example of faith in the gospel, in her love for her family, and by the way she chose to live her life and share it with us. I love you to the last counting, Grandma. You were the rock in our family, and you will be missed every day..


P.S. I'm ticked..I can't find my favorite picture with my Grandma Perkins to post with this entry. I'll find it soon and post it.

3 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

LOVE this post, Tawna! You speak your thoughts well! You have so many of the same memories as I do, and all good ones too! I sure loved that woman!!! We are so lucky to know her as our grandma! (you know, you were always her favorite!--wink wink!!!)

Sunshine Designed said...

Beautiful memories and character traits you learned from her. She was great. Mick just told me last night that she refused to call you Tawna. He liked that she called you Quin.

Brooke said...

I Love you Tawna.